University degree holders in Québec according to the 2021 Census
Notice of release
Québec, May 17, 2023. – The Institut de la statistique du Québec released today an issue of the bulletin Science, technologie et innovation entitled “Les titulaires d’un grade universitaire au Québec : portrait sommaire tiré du Recensement de 2021”.
The analysis presented is based on data distributed by gender, age group, immigration status, and period of immigration. University degree holders are also broken down by highest degree obtained and by field of study of their highest educational credential. Particular attention is paid to fields related to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
The analysis reveals that in Québec, in 2021:
- 29.5% of individuals aged 25 to 64 had a university degree—26.0% of men and 33.0% of women; these proportions rise to 29.3% and 42.0% among those aged 25–34.
- Nearly 3 out of 10 university degree holders had a postgraduate degree (master’s degree or Ph.D.).
- Immigrants accounted for 27.3% of university degree holders, more than their share of the population aged 25–64 (18.3%).
- More than two thirds of university degree holders whose highest educational credentials were in STEM fields were men.
- Nearly half (49.2%) of university degree holders whose highest educational credentials were in STEM fields were immigrants or non-permanent residents.
Information and Documentation Centre
or 1-800-463-4090 (toll-free in Canada and the United States)