Innovation in Québec businesses in 2017-2019
Québec, December 16, 2021. – The Institut de la statistique du Québec released today an issue of the bulletin Science, technologie et innovation entitled “L’innovation dans les entreprises du Québec en 2017-2019.” This bulletin reports the main results on innovation for Québec based on Statistics Canada’s Survey of Innovation and Business Strategy, 2019. It provides results by industry, as well as comparisons with Ontario, the Atlantic region, the rest of Canada, and Canada as a whole.
Here are a few highlights from the publication:
- 77.9% of the businesses surveyed in Québec innovated during the 2017-2019 period, more often in terms of business processes (71.0%) than products (51.3%).
- 54.4% of businesses conducted innovation activities, including employee training (28.1%), during the fiscal year ending in 2019.
- The most frequently mentioned obstacle to innovation was the lack of available skills (28.9% of businesses).
Innovation consists in:
- Introducing on the market a new or improved good or service that differs significantly from the goods or services previously offered.
- Implementing a new or improved business process that differs significantly from the processes previously used.
The Institut de la statistique du Québec produces, analyzes and disseminates official, objective and quality statistical information on various aspects of Québec society. It is responsible for conducting all statistical surveys of general interest. The relevance of its work makes it a strategic ally for decision makers and all those wishing to learn more about Québec.
Information and Documentation Centre
or 1-800-463-4090 (toll-free in Canada and the United States)